Sunday, April 22, 2007

La Llorona: Sign Style


Many New Mexico natives grew up with the story of La Llorona. La Llorona ("the weeping woman") is a folklore that was told to us in school assemblies with the intent of scaring us away from ditches. From my experience, this failed miserably and ended up resulting in many dares to see who could stay near the ditch for the longest period of time before chicking out. I thought I had heard/seen all of the possible renditions of the story until last Thursday. New Mexico School for the Deaf put on La Llorona for their Spring Play.

I always thoroughly enjoy going to events put on by NMSD and really love watching stories/performances in ASL because of the very expressive nature of the language. I always have a difficult time with the voice interpreters. This is one of the times where I wish I could turn off my hearing. The lack of expression/acting the interpreters’ voices have completely takes away from it. I don't mean to knock the interpreters themselves, just the idea of it. I realize that many people find the voicing very helpful but I find it to be nothing but a nuisance that greatly takes away from the experience. I have a hard time finding the voicing necessary. I always drag Amy along to these events with me, she only knows the basics of ASL but definitely agrees that she would much rather miss a parts than to have the voice interpreters. Why?

No comments: