Friday, May 18, 2007

Straight up

Augusten Burroughs

I'm sure you've probably heard of him... Wrote that one book... has a boy with a box over his head on the cover... A New York Times Bestseller... they made a movie of it... movie had a lot of great actors... everyone I know hated it... I loved it...

Anyway... His 5th book came out last year, I was excited (of course) but couldn't read it right away. Books are first published in hardback and I don't like hardback so I had to wait 'till the paperback edition was released. This is sorta good cuz paperbacks are usually cheaper than hardbacks unless of course it's used at Hastings... then the hardbacks are like $4.99 and the paperbacks are somewhere around $7.50... this doesn't make too much sense. I think they do it to drive people like me nuts... whatever. I'm think I'm just extra bitter because I didn't want to spend $7.50 on a used, better edition of Dave Egger's AHWOSG that has the cool appendix of "Mistakes we Knew we Were Making" when I already own the book and have (somewhere) a photo copy my aunt sent me of the appendix. So the better edition of Burroughs' was released on April 17th this year... I was a month late in purchasing it cuz A. I'm poor and B. School was still in session (and I don't read during school... I mean "for pleasure")... so I bought it yesterday... or maybe it was the day before... yeah it was, so I wasn't really a full month behind (yesssss!). I'm about 22ish pages into it and love it, I actually wish I was reading it right now... I just love his voice... wonderful. I actually forgot the part that I was planning on mentioning in the blog... probably because I can't stop thinking about that Eggers book I can't find anywhere that they have at Hastings...for only $7.50... I'm gonna go buy it when I get off work. Oh yeah, Burroughs is awesome and makes me want to go to London even more... he's so cool... and great... maybe I'll read more after buying Eggers book. I hope it's still there. oofta.

No comments: